Japanese KnotweedUpdated: June 22nd, 2017
- June 22nd 69: 3 about a metre tall the rest less than 1foot.
- June 19th and 21st ~: Used Brushcutter to clear part of path along bund.
- May 24th 29: Between 6" to 2'
- May 23rd Cleared bund to jk weed
- April 22nd 19: Few small ones whilst walking the bund for giant hogweed
- April 13th 95: Starting early following warm winter and spring
- Sept 1st 46: All small
- July 11th 27: All small
- June 5th 92: Maybe some quarter of a bag. Started late and was a bit concerned.
Yesterday I had cleared a path along the bund to reach the stand, but didn't see any. Today I realised I had stopped a few metres short as the landscape had changed. A large tree in the bund had fallen into the river taking with it part of the bund. Subsequent tide ingresses and egresses have washed away a substantial part of the bund so I was a bit disorientated. This damage is part of a mess in this area which in parts leads to Japanese Knotweed root exposure and spread.
- October 1st 11: Looks like that's it for this year
- August 6th 55: Mostly small, under a foot tall and a few between 1 and 2 foot. Other growth, especially the himalayan balsam, helps by crowding it out hopefully.
- June 17th 32: Small, which means I didn't miss anything significant last pull.
- May 16th 141: Still nothing big only a quarter of a sack
- April 13th 121: Started early given the warm winter and spring but there wasn't very many and they were mostly only a few inches high, a couple about a foot. Seems later in April will be more effective.
- August 22nd 90
- July 4th 128
- May 30th Found 19 mostly missed from last search
- May 26th Pulled 113: RE the damage > some are growing near the drain edge
- April 22nd Started earlier than last year and pulled 333, half a sack when compressed. The site has been damaged through the winter with a number of roots exposed allowing more small shoots
- 20th August Found 119 plants mostly small.
- 17th July Found 95 plants but very small, didn't fill a tenth of a bag.
- 6th July Found 107 plants
- 8th June Surprised to find only 39 plants
- 15th May Started a month later this year due to cold weather. Total count 390 and the largest plant was little more than 2 foot high; down to 1 inch. Filled only half a sack.
Comments Only visible when logged in