Harewood HistoryNovember 28th, 2017
Situated on the banks of the River Tamar within the beautiful, partly wooded valley, which forms the border between Devon and Cornwall. Just over a mile away is the village of Calstock. To the north east is the ancient stannery town of Tavistock. Situated near to the extent of the River Tamar’s tidal reach.
Harewood Estate is opposite Morwellham and the earliest record is from Saxon times, when, in 547, what is now Ferry Farm was described as a stronghold of 4 acres. The next record claims Harewood as the residence of Ordgar, the Earl of Devon, whose son, Ordulph, founded Tavistock Abbey. By the time of the Norman Conquest, the Harewood lands were incorporated into the Manor of Calstock and in the 13th century were given to Richard, Earl of Cornwall, the earldom passing to Edward 1st in 1300. In 1337 the Black Prince became Duke of Cornwall and the Duchy was created. After the plague years many of the Duchy Manors were thriving with tin mining being important, but Calstock Manor remained mainly wooded with land being let for reed cutting. Over the following centuries, the Calstock Manor woods were let to various tenants and in 1571 a lease was taken on 124 and a half acres and in 1593 the woods at Harewood, including those at Ferry Farm, were leased to Sir Francis Drake. In 1620 John Connock built a manor house at Harewood. By 1798 John Foote had purchased the Manor of Calstock from the Duchy and by 1814 it had passed on to Sir William Salusbury Trelawny. The 1839 tithe map shows massive changes, including the felling of many trees and conversion to pasture. During this time a river embankment was constructed and the water meadows drained. Subsequently the estate was up for auction in 1867. Worthy Potter is recorded in the 1871 census as living in Harewood House. By 1881, it appears as Harewood Cottages 3 and 4. No. 3 housed an agricultural labourer and no. 4 a ferryman/pensioner. In 1869, the Harewood Consuls mine was opened on Ferry Farm land and was in production for 3 years. By 1910, Harewood House was in ruins. In 1917 the whole estate was again up for sale, Ferry Farm appearing as Harewood Cottage Farm.