Calstock is on the Cornish bank of the River Tamar, where it travels west towards Cotehele House. Harewood is east and north of the village and has the river running along its north, east and southern boundaries.
Approaching from Tavistock
Gunnislake is the first town/village in Cornwall and Calstock can be accessed via two or three turnings on the left.
- If you take the first turning in Gunnislake, Calstock Road, after 2 miles you will ascend a steep hill and pass under a railway bridge which will bring you to Harewood Road.
- Turn left along Harewood Road .
Click on the map above for a detailed aerial view of the final 500yards
Approaching from Callington
- At St Anne's Chapel the turning on the right for Calstock is all but hidden, on the opposite side of the road, at the turning.
- This will lead you to Albaston.
If you pass 'Pearce's' garage, you have missed it. Just turn at the garage and follow the road behind it west again and you will come to Albaston.
- Turn left and you are back on the 'main' Calstock access road.
As you approach Calstock from Albaston you will navigate a narrow bridge
- When see a sign showing Calstock to the right, do not follow the main road to the right, down the hill into the village.
Go straight ahead along the Harewood Road.
Either way you will come to a junction on your right, with Calstock Church on your left.
- Go straight ahead, the turn to the right would lead you to Calstock Village.
You are now in Harewood.
After 3/4 mile you will come to a level-crossing.
- Cross the railway and turn left
- Continue about 200m until the road forks ahead.
There are three options, two ahead and one that is a hairpin bend to the right.
- Take the gravely track ahead to the right of the [Private Road] and (10) MPH signs.
Within 100 metres you pass, The Coach House, on your left and then 'Harewood Cottage Gardens' on your right.
The ELF land is to the right as you descend the stony track, towards the river.
The office is a caravan about 200 metres down the track on the right.
If you travel by car
, you may be better parking in Calstock Village and
walking the odd mile. The track is a bit rough and some cars with low ground clearance may find it damaging. Should you, deem it necessary to, drive to the land, please give notice so that someone can be here to help with parking etc. 01822 833398 / 078919 40444
If you are walking
, please note that
- After rain that part of the track immediately after the tarred road, some 100m on the flat, can be very muddy and
- The track as it descends from the Harewood Garden Cottage is very stony, so consider your footwear.