Giant Hogweed 2002-2017Updated: April 28th, 2017
See old website for general info.
Opens new tab or window.
- April 22nd NI: Walk length and found none, but see Northern Bund post.
- April 22nd W1: 11 just north of boat
- April 26th W2: 0!A little distracted
- June 27th: N1: Cleared the bund in the northern field, part of Riverland and found no plants; so it is a mystery as to what the white patch could be on the image taken last year (three quarters of the way down on edge of riverbank).
- June 26th N1: (1) Whilst clearing the bund as part of the Himalayan Balsam sweep I came across one plant growing out of the edge of the bund, river-side, at the eastern edge of the worked area, I will check the remaining roots embedded in the side of the bank in a week or two to decide if to attack the bank with a spade. A few days ago I noticed a white patch whilst making up a new map for the Himalayan Balsam work in Riverland, so will make efforts shortly to get there.
May 25th W2: (3) At last I've been down the marsh, prompted partly by checking the swamp and dawn cypresses. Found 3 GHW in the old A area near the trees mentioned and 1 further away in the old B area. None others found but then there is a lot of overgrowth as I have left it so late.
Count: May ?th
W1 (about 10) June 29th
W1 (2 adjacent the boat)
Given the changing landmarks and regular low numbers I am relabelling the Hogweed Sites. Lettered plots to the west of the boat.
W1, previously A, G, H and 3
W2, previously B, C D, E, F and the western marsh boundary Numbered plots to the north of the boat.
N1, previously 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 First scouring was done on 22nd April and given the warm and wet weather there were a few plants a foot or more in height. Over all compared to last year there are a few more.
May 30th N1 (1 in old site 8)
May 30th W1 (21, inc 19 adjacent the boat)
May 30th W2 (0)
April 23rd N1 (0)
April 23rd W1 (176) There was a dense patch just north and adjacent the boat. Looks like a head full of seed landed there sometime. Bit of a pain as they were amongst brambles and blackthorn and on a muddy slope.
April 22nd W1 (1) W2 (10)